The Connected Educator; chapter 2

In chapter two of "The Connected Educator" by Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach the main topic is connection and how everything leads back to it. In every career field, it is important that everyone develops a connection to the people around them and their practice. Making a connection with the people around you can help you rise in your field. There are three ways to connect and communicate, they are, face to face, online, and individual focus and community. All three ways are important for connecting. In any career you choose, you need to be driven and focused. I plan to become a Dentist in the near future, and I will need to use connective skills every day. Whether it be with patients, coworkers, and or anyone else I will need to have good communicating skills. The book also talks about language and as a doctor, you need to use professional language. Personal learning networks is also an important part of connecting. Network means sharing ideas with others and learning from others who share with them. You can learn new skills just by listening and watching other people. Communities of practice are built on a shared identity of a collective group of people in the same field or share the same ideas. By having the same common knowledge, it can help you and others. By sharing one’s community, you become better at understanding and sharing knowledge. You can thrive and make your community thrive just by working together and creating a network. 

Comments

  1. Hi Lex! Good point about using professional language. In any career, using the correct terminology and being able to communicate with our peers is very important as well as, having the ability to communicate with your patients in a way that they will understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your back ground is so relaxing :) I agree with you about every profession needs to communicate with the people around them. Funny fact, I just recently took my son to a new dentist and they were so hands on that I will be making this his primary dentist office. His dentist literally informed me on everything that was happening and when I didn't undertstand certain medical terms she took her time explaining it. Networking is so important. Now that I had such a good experience there I will recommend that dentist office to my peers. Thats how fast ones profession can become better just by having good cummunication. Goodluck with your dentist career.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I like the point that you make about being in a career and having to use professional language. The way that you talk to people can change what they think about you. Using slang and other short terms for words will make you look unprofessional. I can also agree that networking is a very important thing for people in specified fields that want to share ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you talked about the different ways of communication because in the time right now that we are in our face to face communication is very limited. With the coronavirus not everyone is able to go out and see their friends and family so you have to communicate online or on a social media platform.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Lex! I really enjoyed your summary. I thought it was cool how you related this chapter to becoming a dentist. I like that you made it personal. I never would have associated this chapter with becoming a dentist, but it works:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how you explain the different types of communication and how important they are in your field. I also like how you made the whole idea of the chapter personal and in connection with your career.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lex! Very interesting how you connect this Chapter to being a dentist. In the career you are going into using the professional language is a must .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A question I have though is how do you think that it would negatively effect you if you did not use professional language?

      Delete
  9. I agree! I recognize that any career requires communication with others in their immediate environment. I like how you discussed the various modes of communication since face-to-face communication is extremely restricted in the current era. Since not everyone is able to see their friends and family due to the coronavirus, you must connect through the internet or a social media site.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I absolutely stand by you on this! Working together and creating a network could for sure help one's community thrive as a whole! I see that you plan on becoming a dentist, which for sure requires communication to be successful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts