The Connected Educator, Chapter 5: Using Tools To Support Connected Learning

Chapter 5; Using Tools To Support Connected Learning
    In this blog I will be summarizing Chapter 5 of the book The Connected Educator and connecting my career path to it. This chapter talks about all the tools we can use online to help us. Tools are something that helps you keep track of what you found on the web. With tools, it can be easier to find a tab or website you saved and wanted to come back to. There are many tools that can help and this chapter stated many, so I will cite a few. 
    Tools for Documenting and Archiving Learning- 
Social bookmarking is one of the major tools most people use. Social bookmarking lets you save content you want to come back to. It helps you archive more information that you want and avoid that useless stuff. Sheryl states "Social bookmarking is a useful and fun way to organize it while connecting with friends and colleagues and discovering new articles and links along the way."
Tools for Connecting and Collaborating-
Blogs are the most used way to get your information out there. Blogs are a way to connect with anyone anywhere. They can be journal entries, or posts that are in chronological order to help navigate throughout them. Blogs are where people share their ideas without being ashamed. Blogs usually always encourage feedback from the readers and audience. 
    Tools for Social Networking-
Ning is a website that builds and nurtures your personal learning network. It is not like Myspace, Facebook, or Twitter. Ning lets your build an online network without any interest in a specific field and you can earn a couple dollars each month from it. According to Sheryl, Ning can feature discussion forums, blogs, posts, photo and video sharing, widgets from other websites and a RSS reader. 
    Tools for Extending Learning in the Classroom-
Teachertube is like YouTube but for only educators to post. It is content made for teachers by other teachers. It helps with things all over like interviews, or the periodic table or even how to write a thesis statement. this website helps all teachers learn new things.
    All of these tools are useful but the one that stuck out to me and my career most is social bookmarking. it stuck out to me because its something I use now and will continue to use throughout my college years and career. If I find a website that helps me with information for my career, I will save it and always come back to it. For instance; I bookmark salary.com so I can always find the average salary of a dentist fast. If you click on the link, it will show you the average salary in case you were wondering! What do you think is the most useful tool?
📖 🦷💰

Comments

  1. Hi Lex,
    Your post was very detailed and accurate. I think the social bookmarking tool is great for your pursing field. I think that's awesome your bookmarked the salary.com website. That is essential having an idea of your salary and what is expected when transiting to into the field. I couldn't agree more about the social bookmarking tool. For me, I think the most useful tool is the RSS reader. I think this tool offers a sense of organization and in order for me to not go crazy in the Social Work field I NEED ORGANIZATION. I enjoy having structure and organization to ease my stress lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to start off with your post is very organized and very detailed. salary.com is a very good site to be used and it shows what is the expected amount while going into your field. I am not the most organized so a tool of mine that I would need would most definitely be an organizer tool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog was very well written and very put together and organized. I really like at the end of your blog how you personalized the post by talking about the tool that stuck out to you the most. I think it is great that you use salary.com, its probably a great website to keep in your back pocket so you can check up on what the latest salary it is for your future profession of becoming a dentist.(I wish the very best luck by the way) Anyways, very nice post:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is direct and to the point, which I appreciate. It makes it easy to glean exactly what you read an connect it to your brief career application at the end. The only thing I ask is, can you think of any other ways to use these tools in your professional development. Right off the top of my head, I can imagine you could use RSS readers to follow dentistry trade journals, and use bookmarking to create a database of useful articles. That way, you're always up to date on the latest research into dental care. I wish you the best of luck in finding more applications!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog is clear, direct and very well put together. I liked the tool called teachertube. This seems like a great tool for educators to share and expand on ideas. After I complete a career in the criminal justice field I would like to become a teacher and coach sports at a high school. this tool could be helpful so I definitely will keep this in the back of my mid. Good work

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how organized your blog is, and I like the details of the connections to the book you made. For me, I like tools such as blogs when it comes to the visual communication field since it'll be easier to keep up on progress and see how much I've improved as well as how it could help other people. Honestly, good job.

    ReplyDelete

  7. What a meticulous summary, I like the way you structured your writing as well. It was very easy to follow along and track back. I also am going to be using the book marking tools that we were shown through chapter five. Not only for my work career but also for my personal hobbies, I have a lot of random interests. I also like to bookmark every page that interests me, I have roughly 15 bow building pages, four snowboarding technique bookmarks and over ten bookmarks for college use. Being able to organize my bookmarks will be a nice feeling once I've decided how to structure them. How do you file your bookmarks? I was thinking about having two accounts, one for career life and one for personal interests and then subsection off by topic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog manages to give the reader very accurate and useful information in an organized manner. You did a very nice job of making it easy to read and understand. In the future, I would like to be a teacher. This blog is very helpful for my future career because technology is becoming a very powerful and useful tool in helping students learn. I can use these internet tools to learn and save information to pass onto my students.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lex
    Your blog covers a lot of interesting information that I would have never thought of. You did a very nice job of making it easy to read and understand. This will possibly help me in my career.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts